20.4.14

KANAMARI MATSURI, THE "PENIS FESTIVAL"


The Kanamari Matsuri was one of those festivals I had read about, but never thought I would attend. It is often referred to as penis festival, but more specifically it is a shinto (remember, there are two major religions in Japan, shinto and buddhist) celebration of fertility that occurs yearly on the first Sunday of April. At the center of this festival is the Kanayama temple, and a giant parade that celebrates three giant penises (one of wood, one of iron, and one pink, carried by men dressed as women), carried in mikoshi (divine palanquin, or portable shinto shrine) throughout the city streets.



I do love a good matsuri. There is always good food, a great celebratory atmosphere, dances, people, and so on, but this one was a short party. Not only did we get hit by bad weather (it seems as though bad weather is all I get when I decide to get out of the city), but I was disappointed by the execution in itself. It was actually a big gaikokujin fest, and lacked Japaneseness. I quickly put my camera back in my bag, as it started pouring. Despite the rain, and the beer-inhibited tourists, it was an interesting experience, and we got to bring back genitals lollipops!


Happy Victor

The star